Industry Member Frequently Asked Questions
HOW DOES THE CVDI IUCRC PROCESS WORK?
The research conducted CVDI is done in collaboration with an industry advisory board (IAB) that ensures through the feedback loop and voting process that it aligns with the emerging needs of the consortium and its IAB members.
WHAT ARE THE BENEFITS OF JOINING A NSF IUCRC?
CVDI’s value proposition is to offer a low-cost, low-risk venue for its members from industry and government agencies to validate their early stage innovations with the involvement of university faculty, postdoctoral scholars, researchers and students.
Members of the CVDI Industry Advisory Board (IAB) have access to leading-edge developments in data science, big data, analytics, and visual and decision informatics. IAB members guide the direction of the Center’s research projects. Members will also have access to the interdisciplinary knowledge base from academic researchers and engage with other industry advisory board members to explore potential opportunities. The following are highlights of membership benefits:
- CVDI provides low-cost, low-risk precompetitive research. A very high percentage of the project funds support research and the center charges only 10% overhead project funds generated via from membership fees.
- This amounts to 13:1 return-on-investment, for industry members, based on industry funding received from 2012-2016 and 42:1 return-on-investment, if NSF support is counted.
- CVDI generates considerable intellectual property including 2 major industry breakthroughs, 40 invention disclosures and 62 peer-reviewed publications.
- The center provides access to non-exclusive royalty-free license to the intellectual property generated from all the projects. Exclusive licensing options may be available under special circumstances.
- Formal periodic project reviews along with continuous informal interaction and timely access to reports, papers and intellectual property generated by the center.
- Access to high-quality student pool (majority are PhD students) who collaborate with industry research partners. This partnership provides students exposure to real-world research problems, and enables companies to conduct research with less investment, and also evaluate and attract top talent.
- One-stop access to world-class research program. From 2012-2016, the center has completed over 25 projects with 26 academic faculty and research scientists, and over 58 undergraduate and graduate students.
- Highly collaborative environment with added flexibility for industry members to construct joint research projects with faculty and other industry, and team-up with faculty to pursue joint federal grant opportunities.
- Access to state-of-the art big data research facilities such as the Visual Analytics Sandbox for IAB projects.
- The ability for industry members to propose research problems that are most relevant to the CVDI research areas.
- Choice of project topics to be funded by members’ own contributions.
- Professional Development opportunities so as co-author peer-reviewed articles with CVDI researchers and co-present at professional conferences with CVDI researchers.
- University site visits offer a broader understanding of the research status, accomplishments and capabilities and interests of the researchers and the universities
- Recruitment opportunities to attract outstanding graduate students. During Phase I over 58 students were supported by CVDI research activities and grants.
- Opportunity to network and collaborate with other Industry Advisory Board members to explore joint ventures.
CAN A SMALL BUSINESSES JOIN CVDI?
Annual memberships for small businesses are available at a reduced rate. A small business is as defined by the U.S. Small Business Administration. Small business members benefit from a greater ROI and can qualify for additional funding and subsidized fees, for Small Business Innovation Research and Small Business Technology Transfer (SBIR/STTR) grants obtained from the NSF.
HOW MUCH DOES IT COST TO BE AN IAB MEMBER?
The cost an annual membership for FY17 and FY18 is $40K. The annual membership price will be $50K starting in FY19. Small Business annual membership price is currently $10K with plans to increase to $20K in FY19. Currently a company making a $40K membership investment is receiving over a 42:1 leverage. Each $1K of membership fee paid provides a company with a single voting right. CVDI does allow for companies to purchase more than one membership (not to exceed two seats on the IAB) thus providing the company additional IAB slots and increased voting privileges
HOW ARE IAB PAYMENTS HANDLED?
Payment of membership fees are made to the sponsoring University as a lump sum effective March 1st or in four equal quarterly installments on the 1st day of March, June, September, and December of each year of sponsorship.
WHO ARE THE CURRENT IAB MEMBERS?
- CA Technologies
- Cancer Treatment Centers of America
- Capital One
- Clarivate Analytics (Formerly the IP & Science
business of Thomson Reuters)
- Johnson and Johnson
- Louisiana Health Care Quality Forum
- Louisiana Immersive Technologies Enterprise
- Mobileware Inc.
- Nokia Solutions
- Northrop Grumman Aerospace Systems
- Northrop Grumman Technology Services
- Schumacher Clinical Partners
IS THERE A LIST OF PREVIOUS RESEARCH/PUBLICATIONS?
Past and current research topics as well as all Center publications are available to IAB members companies here.
CAN IAB MEMBERS LICENSE CVDI RESEARCH?
IAB members are entitled to a non-exclusive, royalty-free license to the results of the Center research during their active membership. Exact details as well as exclusive royalty options can be found in the CVDI Industrial Member Agreement.
ARE THERE OPPORTUNITIES FOR DEDICATED/EXCLUSIVE ROYALTY RESEARCH THROUGH CVDI?
Please speak with your sponsoring university for options on exclusive enhancement contracts that can be layered on top of your IAB membership.
WHAT IS THE PROCESS FOR JOINING CVDI?
The process for joining the Industry Advisory Board is very straightforward:
- Meeting of interested parties between the sponsoring university and the potential member company is held, on an on-demand basis, to review, partnership agreement and identify mutual beneficial areas of research.
- IAB contract signed by both parties, and
- First annual/quarterly payment made to sponsoring university.
WHAT ARE MY RESPONSIBILITIES AS A CVDI IAB MEMBER?
The IAB strongly influences the Center’s strategic direction and research focus by having a leadership role in the selection and evaluation of research projects. Company commitment and IAB participation is key to a successful partnership.
- Meeting financial deadlines regarding membership fees
- Participate in research project reviews
- Vote on project funding
- Attendance at Fall/Spring IAB Workshops
- Provide mentorship to PIs and graduate students
- Connect with CVDI Researchers and other IAB members to develop collaborative relationships
Interested in becoming a CVDI Industry Advisory Board Member or have any questions about membership? Let us come visit your company to better understand your challenges and demonstrate the benefits of a CVDI partnership as well as share some of our success stories.
Email Matt Delcambre, Innovative Managing Director for more information.